Reasons to be cheerful, part...oh I dunno, make up an arbitrary number



I spend way too much time moaning, This I know. As you get older you start to realise that moaning about things is as effective as trying to solve algebra by chewing bubblegum (yeah that's a great quote to steal). So instead it's time to celebrate the little things. There are times when even a hardened cynic can crack a smile and be thankful for things that others might take for granted, or that might pass by otherwise unnoticed. 

Root Beer. I mean come ON, we like in the UK and Root Beer is always seen as something that weird Americans drink. If you're teetotal (like me, and that's just being smug, I miss the taste of beer and soime of the zero alcohol stuff is getting way better) you like soft drinks, and there's no finer concoction than that weird mix of something that tastes medicinal but super-sweet like maple syrup. I drank root beer at a burger joint with my girls and that was a damned fine time. 

I'm thankful that my health problems aren't worse. Some folk with chronic liver disease go through hell, and though I've got it, I am not showing any of the symptoms that are life affecting (yet). I can walk, I can work, I can exercise, I can eat most things (though anything greasy / oily is a bad idea). It's annoying not to have any kind of closure with it and it's likely that it will eventually kill me but I'm not going to spend what life I've got left worrying about it. I intend to live. 

I'm so pleased to see my daughter growing up into a brilliant young woman. She is kicking her anxiety's ass. She fights it, like I taught her to and like her mum taught her to. She does so with that look on her face that she had when she was a tiny toddler, that uncertain smile. 

She is strong and interesting, funny and cute. I still find it amazing that I had a hand in her creation. She is the best thing I've ever had a hand in creating and a lot of it is down to her mum.

My wife. I mean still being totally nuts about her nearly 24 years on. When I first saw her she knocked my eyes out. At the very least I wanted to be her friend but we've been married for nearly 20 years, been together for 23 years this november. When we met I wasn't looking for anyone, I'd had a horrible previous relationship and definitely wasn't ready to leap back into anything like that. 10 years different in age, I didn't expect to ever be anything to her other than a friend or a work colleague but something clicked. We have our ups and downs just like any couple, sometimes we argue over the stupidest things but we laugh about the stupidest things too, and if you can laugh as a couple (and not at each other) then you're onto a winner. 

So that's it, that's the post. Celebrate the little things, rave about the big things. Moaning does no one any good and you will not change people, or the world by moaning. 

Comments