Religion and belief - Why don't I have any?


I have no faith, no religion, no belief system other than there are two types of people in this world, good people and bad people. 

Attempts were made during my childhood to get me to embrace the idea of an all-encompassing god who sent his son to earth to save us all, who was then subsequently killed but came back to life again to ascend to heaven. Laying it all out like that just sounds crazy and anyone with any kind of a background in science would scoff and laugh. 

I was OK till I was doorstepped today, a few days before Easter Sunday by a charming dad and his daughter, just doorstepping and sharing a leaflet about the kingdom of god. They were pleasant, polite, and when I started out with "I am not religious, not in the least" they didn't just walk away shaking their heads but talked about what their religiou brought to them, that unique feeling of belonging and a belief system that puts people first (I was slightly thankful that they couldn't see my "Hellfire Club" T shirt under my jumper). 

For my entire life as great as the above sounds, this is not what I see when I see folk who claim to be religious but are anything but. Wars erupt all over the world with religion at their core. People do despicable things here and in the US, using their religion as a shield or some kind of justification for their utterly abhorrent and shitty behaviour towards anyone who doesn't fit their model of what a perfect human being should be. So even with those lovely doorsteppers (who really were way more pleasant than your usual religious cold callers) I still can't bring myself to have any faith. 

I don't believe in the afterlife. We had this "cute" belief that my late Nan was reincarnated as a Robin and now every time we see a robin we think about that, but it's utterly nuts when you try to rationalise reincarnation. An afterlife? Wait, I'll settle for a life in this one. 

I like to think if there is a good person / bad person polar opposite, I'm in the good camp but know that it's probably far more fine grained than that. 

I've always enjoyed the debate more. I've had awesome friends who have faith. Members of my extended family do (my mother in law for example) but I still find that even with their most convincing arguments, I can't change my mind yet there's a tiny bit of me that's actually slightly envious of folk who have something like that, and that it works for them. Perhaps even stops them going completely nuts. 

To that dad and daughter, if I wasn't pushed for time in the middle of a work from home day I would probably have said this. You achieved something, you gave me food for thought today. You may not have changed my mind but you were polite and pleasant, and if there's one thing the world needs more of now, it's that. 


Comments