Clearing out the cupboard of doom...

 

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, and it's something I'd been meaning to do for a long time. There is a cupboard in my office called "The Cupboard of Doom" and it's long been the place where tech stuff goes to live out its final days. Things were getting ridiculous in there so I figured it was time to haul all the contents of the cupboard out and see what was in there, what was worth keeping and what was worth getting rid of. 

I started early in the morning, methodically pulling the entire contents of the cupboard out and stacking them neatly. About an hour in and I couldn't actually move across the floor...Oh god, what had I begun!

As you can see, the majority of the contents of the cupboard were old game consoles. To wit, 2 Playstation 4s, an Xbox One-S, an original (transparent, woo!) Xbox, a PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, PSP, PS VR (I never got on with the stupid thing), Nintendo Gamecube, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn and a whole stackload of different controllers for each console or others. 

Games wise there must've been about 500+ games across multiple formats, mostly PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 games and a lot of old PC games as well. 

Lego boxes were next, a lot of star wars lego boxed up. Finally lots of weird random stuff like an old Tamiya tank kit I never built, a VHS box set of the Star Trek cinematic movies, and a couple of documents from the very dawn of my obsession with computers - an order form for ZX81 peripherals and a detailed sheet on how to test your new 16k ram pack. 

See anything you like, sir?

It took me until about 6.30 in the evening to categorise everything, sort out two colossal junk piles (of stuff that wasn't worth saving). Then came the actual problem, what the hell do you do with old PS2 magazine demo disks? What do you do with a whole slew of CDs of old games you no longer want to play. And what the hell do you do with old VHS tapes? Does anyone still collect them?

Thankfully most of the consoles have now been boxed up ready for a better home, and I'm building an inventory of the games to weed out the crap to get rid of. I daren't try to tot up in my head how much all this stuff cost, but dang, I really have to stop hoarding old game crap, I just don't have the room or the house for it!

Comments