Wait what? When did I become the "Cool Uncle" ?

 

I don't blow my own trumpet very often but I've just spent an awesome (and very knackering) day with my niece and nephew during which I found out that somehow, confounding all available evidence and data, I have become "The Cool Uncle".

My brother in law / sister in law's kids are adorable, at that age where they still find wonder in the world and (thankfully so far) haven't fallen down the childhood rabbit hole of being wrapped up in phone / tablet screens the whole time. They also aren't at that age where someone's appearance affects their view of whether that person is worth spending some time with or not. 

Let me explain. I've got two nieces and two nephews. With one set, I barely registered a blip on their 'cool-o-meter' but with this set, it's like I can do no wrong and that's quite a nice position to be in for an old fart like me.

W (my nephew) and I (my niece) are like chalk and cheese, character wise. W is inquisitive, curious and absolutely wants to know everything there is to know about everything. I is slightly less so, but has a wicked sense of humour and a complete obsession with Batman. 

Most of the time, W latched onto my hand and would not let go all day. We played football together (something that I think all Uncles are required to do by law, whether they're any good at football or not) and had some heart-melting conversations about how W wanted to have no hair like me when he grew up, and how he didn't want me to ever die (At that point I had to tell an uncle-sized whopper that I fully intended to live forever, delivered in the same manner that Will Riker delivers that very line in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation). 

When it came time for us to leave, W was inventing all sorts of scenarios where I could go home with him, but sadly living on opposite sides of the country it was not to be. There were tears later on apparently, and he was still talking about me the next day. Dawwwwww!

I am extremely touched and honoured by all this of course. I'm not used to any form of 'hero worship' and I'm definitely not used to being the "Cool Uncle". My daughter sagely pointed out that the reason W thought I was awesome was mainly because I didn't do the 'parent' thing of telling him off (both kids are well behaved but do have a tendency to run ahead whenever we're walking anywhere, but what kid doesn't!) I spent most of the next day wondering quite how I managed to keep up with the kids, kick a ball around for a solid hour or more, and clamber up adventure playgrounds and woodland jungle gyms at such a ripe old age but sometimes you're so wrapped up in how great a day you're having that you entirely forget you're the wrong side of 50. 

I miss those kids so much when we don't get to see them as much as we'd like, and the memory of that day will stay with me for a long time, the day I somehow managed to be a cool uncle - and even if it was just for that one day, it'll be something I'll remember forever. 

Comments